Mechanically Separated Chicken.

Tuesday, November 12, 2002

Tasks.

Pynchon likes to use money to buy things.

There are a few things I'm going to ask you to do. Tasks I wish you to undertake. There will be danger, oh yes, and not all of you will make it back alive. But remember this: I loved you. I truly, truly loved you.

1. Go witness some genius. Regrettably, I don't live anywhere near NYC - but if you do, I absolutely insist that you to go see Michael Barrish read his story The Letter at the Bowery later this week. Go as my proxy and report back posthaste. Do some courtroom sketches on a napkin. I want diagrams.

2. Get rocked. If, on the other hand, you're in Melbourne, you might like to see Perth band the Tucker Bs when they're in town. They begin a national tour for their new album in a fortnight, and play at the Tote on Wednesday, November 27th with Disaster Plan and Thursday the 28th at the Rob Roy with Architecture in Helsinki. They're also playing on the following Saturday and Sunday, but details are unconfirmed at this stage. Y'all should come. They're kinda Pavementy, or at least they were when I saw them last.

3. Make me number one with a bullet. International Superstar Pop Icon Davey Dreamnation's hit song Hot Soup Girl (a musical tribute that continues to both humble and delight me) has been sitting at the #4 spot on the LoFi chart at MP3.com for weeks now. If you'd like to see it rocket to number one, such a thing might be accomplished if, say, a bunch of people visited the site and downloaded the shit out of it.

Just sayin'.

4. Make a Thomas Pynchon paper doll. "Pynchon likes to use money to buy things. Things Thomas Pynchon can buy with money include: fresh fruit and vegetables, movies starring Molly Ringwald, allergy medication, road maps, fake moustaches..."